At Clarity we are often asked by organizations for our punch list of the biggest differences between Snowflake and a traditional data warehouse environment. We always start with the easiest… that unlike many data platforms which are built on-prem and able to be moved to a cloud environment, Snowflake is a single, near-zero maintenance platform delivered as-a-service that was built native to the cloud. That is a really important distinction given that it opens the door to folks across the organization (analysts, engineers, data scientists, developers) to work within the environment without limitations to performance concurrency or scale.
What makes our Top 5 list for how Snowflake has changed the modern data warehouse game?
- Separation of Compute and Storage - By leveraging virtual warehouses, you can load data at the same time as running queries which historically has been the bottleneck for organizations where multiple teams needed access at one time. This is especially useful for daily and monthly data load processes where you can load data without locking out users.
- Reduce Administration Due to Automation - No need to spend time maintaining table spaces, patches, disk, upgrades, etc. These time consuming tasks typically average 25% of total cost of ownership of a data warehouse and require dedicated resources to manage.
- Auto Scaling and Multi Clustering - You can scale up and down based on peak usage patterns to improve user adoption and flexibility.
- Consumption Based Pricing - Pay for what you use rather than pay based on capacity (i.e. you don’t pay for idle time). No separate software licensing fees, infrastructure, or data center costs.
- Automatic Query Optimization - Improve report and query performance without having to tune each query/table yourself through partitions, indexes, etc. This can lead to increased user satisfaction and adoption.
So where do you start?
As a solution partner, our three-step approach outlines a streamlined method to start the transformation and migrate your systems as quickly as possible. Our proven accelerators provide the framework and our experienced team works with you every step of the way.
Want to learn more about the advantages of Snowflake Data Warehouse? See if you qualify for a two-hour strategy workshop at no cost to you.
NOTE: Clarity Insights, part of Accenture Applied Intelligence is a Snowflake Partner.
Snowflake’s cloud-built data warehouse enables the data-driven enterprise with
instant elasticity, secure data sharing, and per-second pricing across multiple clouds.
Snowflake combines the power of data warehousing, the flexibility of big data
platforms, and the elasticity of the cloud. Find out more at snowflake.com.